Friday 8 May 2015

Heading West Again May 2015

Has been a bit slow this year with stopping and starting, catching up with family and friends, getting nowhere for a while. But enjoying some relaxing time during those months. Including a trip to the Redcliffe area to see friends, staying at Rayner's for two nights and catching up with Beth and Pam. We all got together for lunch at the Captain Cook Hotel where we chatted no stop.
Now back on the road, leaving Hervey Bay 21st April to head north with the plan to pick up my new puppy Daisy at Calliope on the way.  On que, Wednesday saw me take delivery of this gorgeous little creature who has become my mate and fitting in well with the travelling and camping.
It is now two weeks later and we are getting on well together. I am learning the rules, she's the boss.

First photo: before I got her and second photo making herself at home on my bed, cuddling her teddy.

After 3 days at the Calliope Rest area learning the ropes, wearing a harness, walking on a lead etc, we headed off for Rockhampton, or Cawarral to be exact, to catch up with a dear friend of mine Gayle. What a beautiful spot she has on 2 and 1/2 acres of bush and tropical greenery. A lot of damage was done when Cyclone Marcia went through not long ago. The SES kindly cut back a lot so they had access to the property but there is still a lot to be done, branches off trees lying every where. We spent the night parked in her back yard also meeting up with some other grey nomads who are camping there at the moment, Joe50 and Ontos45. Was great to meet new nomads.
Gayle lives in a dome house, I wish I had got some photos, never thought of it at the time. What a beautiful setting.
The next day I started to head west, the plan being to spend some days at Bedford Weir. First stop was Westwood Hall where I stayed a night. A small town beside a dry creek bed, has public toilets and is in between the road and the railway line. Must have been a quiet night as I heard neither.




After a very comfortable night at Westwood we made our way to Blackwater to stock up before heading out to Bedford Weir.
Daisy is travelling well and getting used to me leaving her alone in the van long enough to get the shopping done. As it's like a little house she has plenty of room to move about and with the hatch in the roof open and 3 fans going full on, plus a bowl of water and a bowl of food, she is actually better off than me out in the heat.
Arriving at Bedford Weir was a pleasure to see the place again after having stayed there about the same time last year. Rick is still in charge and came around for a chat at happy hour.
A few campers there but not always full. A couple Tina and Chester took a liking to Daisy and she to them. Was able to leave her to play with Chester while I went off to the shower each day.
More to come when I sort out a problem with my camera.



No comments:

Post a Comment