Friday 15 May 2015

Overnight trip to Springsure May 2015

An overnight trip to Springsure.
Was camped at Emerald the night and looking through the trusty Bible (Camps Aus. Wide) When I saw the town of Springsure. Knowing my son had been a truck driver and driven through there I text him to ask was there anything of interest in the area.After he told me about The Virgin Rock I decided the next day would be a great opportunity to pop down  and check the area out.
I was pleasantly surprised. About 64 ks south of Emerald I had a lovely drive down and found the camping spot in front of the Rock of the Virgin Mary. As I hadn't left Emerald till the afternoon I decided to leave the township till the next day.
The camping ground quickly filled up with travellers waiting for the sun to go down.
The rocks are a formation worth looking at, inside the niche of the left hand side rock is a weathered likeness of Virgin Mary holding her child . In the year of the Centenary of Federation the Bauhinia Shire Council undertook to light this area of the mountains.
Well worth the trip to see this breathtaking sight.
However they have done this, they have done the job well. I wish my camera could have done it justice.
The next morning I noticed everyone had left before I was even organized, so I took my time. I'm so glad I did. Half an hour later in came a mini bus towing a trailer full of lawn mowers and whipper snippers. Out jumped a gang of men ready to tidy the whole place up. Next minute whipper snippers and lawnmowers were all going frantic cutting grass and
tidying edges around the fence line. It was all done in less than an hour. On my way to the rubbish bin I comment to the foreman how they were doing such a great job.
It turned out the men, young men at that, maybe a bit past teenagers, were from the correctional facility just up the road. When they finished there they were to move up the road to another park to do the same.
This one where I was camped was the Lions Park. These guys were so polite, apologizing for making a noise, several times, all very friendly and a pleasure to watch hard at work. With a friendly wave goodbye upon leaving.
From the Lions Park I went into Springsure Township, firstly going to the Showgrounds to empty my cassette at the dump point. There I managed to get photos of some interesting buildings with paintings on the walls which I will post up here.
Springsure is small but very tidy, exceptionally so. Very well manicured I thought.
One shop that interested me was called House of Magnolias. Gifts, Gourmet, Glamour, Homewares and Antiques.
The outside of the building had huge Magnolia Flowers painted along the wall in pink through to purple. As it also had a café, outside were groups of metal table and chairs painted in deep purple. Once the outside had taken my eye I really had to go inside for a look. Well, what an amazing assortment I found inside. The building must have been a house at one stage as there were small rooms everywhere. Each one have something different to buy. If I had more time and more money I could have spent a fortune and will surely go back there when I have more of both. Photo of outside of building shown below.
A pleasant trip back to Emerald followed before deciding to do a round trip of Sapphire, Rubyvale, Theresa Dam Bridge, Clermont, Capella and back to Emerald, taking about a week.







Found a better photo of the Virgin Rock lit up at night. Not one of mine, but does show just how good it does look.

No comments:

Post a Comment